Monday, August 17, 2009

Movie Review: District 9

After much thinking, I am ready to give my review of District 9. My friend texted me right after I had seen it and all I could say is that it was very cool. Amber’s opinion was that it was weird. I agreed with her, but weird does not always equal bad. Now that I have given the movie sufficient time to set in I am going to say I liked it…a lot. It is probably one of my top five of the year. The story is very original, the effects are cool and I really like that South African accent (like a cross between Australian and French/German). The hesitation in my feelings comes from a couple of things. The lead character becomes infected by alien DNA and sets the movie into this manic tail spin. This, along with the inconsistency of camera styles wore me out. The director meshes documentary/interview, CCTV and third person styles of filming and it takes a little time to get used to. After you see your first guy get vaporized, you notice this less and less. District 9 will not have you leaving the theater with the warm and fuzzies, (no Randy Quade yelling “I’m back” while kamikaze style blowing up a spaceship) but it will have you thinking about what it was you just saw.
Side story…I saw some friends of mine walk into the theater and Amber did the whole “Hey I know you” thing. When the movie was over we waited for them to come out, but they never did. I texted her to see what happened and she said she walked out within the first 10 minutes. She said it was the worst movie she had ever seen. Lesson: I know now to never ask for her opinion on movies.
Final thoughts…go see this movie, but stay longer than 10 minutes even if you start to feel the urge to leave(crazy ass women). I give this movie 4.5 popping aborted prawn babies

No comments:

Post a Comment