Monday, July 6, 2009

Movie Review: Public Enemies

Johnny Depp, Christian Bale and a bunch of other familiar faces in the story of a charismatic modern day Robin Hood directed by Michael Mann. Looks great when you put it like that, which is why I decided to check it out. The movie never really pulls you in. It plays out like; jail break, bank robbery, love story, bank robbery, jail break, bank robbery, Dillinger gets blasted. Oops...did I give away the ending? BTW...the ship sinks at the end of Titanic. This movie might be good for history buffs of the depression era, like the majority of movie goers are. It seems to imply a certain amount of knowledge into the subject before entering the theater, which I had little of. The style of direction is very familiar (see Collateral, great movie IMO. Tom Cruise plays a great crazy person...go figure). I am a fan of originality in film direction so I give it points for trying, but I think it works sometimes in this film and others is just too much. No complaints in the acting, how could I. Yet again I am disappointed by my movie going experience but this time I won't blame the Meningitis. I would say if you have the History Channel locked in at home you may want to check it out, all others wait to watch it on cable TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment